copy Excellent Adventures in Egypt

Enter here to share Joni's adventures living and working in Cairo courtesy of the U.S. Fulbright cultural exchange program. Our ability to reach unity in diversity will be the beauty and test of our civilization. - Mahatma Ghandi

12/10/2004

Circus Guy

Last night (December 8) I went to a rock concert at Azhar Park. (Yes, me at a rock concert – picture that!) The band, Circus Guy, is out of New York and includes several Egyptian-Americans. They are really fine - do a mix of classic rock, Arabic rock and their own tunes. They were brought here by the Embassy, and have been touring throughout the MidEast. The lead singer, Taha, is an environmental science teacher now living in Cairo and working at the Wadi Foods environmental science center for kids. The band teaches science through rock-n-roll – yes, Virginia, it can be done. (What a hoot!) The band also boasts a NASA scientist designing photovoltaic (violin and petal steel) and a physicist doing cancer research(veddy cool bass player). Not your average band! It was lovely sitting on the Azhar Park green (freezing our tushes off) while gazing at the Citadel and listening to Heartbreak Hotel – the ultimate cross-cultural experience. No pix, alas, but here’s a link to the Embassy’s publicity page for their Egypt http://www.usembassy.egnet.net/usis/culevents.htm and pix from their Oman trip. http://www.usa.gov.om/circusguyc.htm (Michael has cut his hair and looks really nerdy now – which he uses to great effect in his “circus guy” persona.)

2 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Blogger ted said...

Hiya Joni -
Ted here, the violin NASA guy. Thanks for your kind words and for coming to our concert. I think I met you briefly before the show. Sorry I didn't spend more time talking to you. Things were awfully hectic at that time. Anyway, write me when you get a chance at mrslats@aol.com
all the best,
Ted

 
At 3:45 AM, Blogger Thanks for you visit said...

Greetings,

I Really think you have a great blog here, and see you have a very high page ranking, I found this info out from this page. http://pr.blogflux.com/ Try it out.



I have several pages of my own,

I'ts about femme Clothing. This site is in French language.
My second site is about Chaussures that is Shoes in french and bottes that is boots in french.

My Third site is about Chocolate that is made in France. The Frech language just drops to e at the end so it is chocolat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home